Small Claims


You may visit the Small Claims Department of the Clerk’s office during the hours of 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. You can also call the small claims department at (216) 491-1305.

Small Claims cases are governed by Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1925. The small claims division handles cases seeking money judgments of $6,000.00 or less.

You can file your case in the Small Claims Court if your claim seeks money damages of no more than $6,000 and you meet one of the following two criteria:

  1. The transaction or incident on which your claim is based took place in the Court’s jurisdiction: Shaker Heights, University Heights, Beachwood, Pepper Pike, or Hunting Valley; or
  2. The defendant (the person or organization sued) lives or has its principal place of business in the Court’s jurisdiction.

Individuals and businesses such as corporations and limited liability companies can sue and be sued in Small Claims Court.


Parties to a civil case may have the option to mediate their claims if assigned to mediation by the Magistrate. Mediations are conducted on Tuesday or by special appointment. Mediations are conducted remotely via the Zoom platform.