Shaker Heights Municipal Court 3355 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120

Criminal - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a continuance?
Continuances must be requested in writing and accompanied with a check for $20.00 made payable to Shaker Heights Municipal Court. The clerk's office will notify you of your new court date through the mail. Please make sure your name, current address, social security number, ticket or case number, and a daytime phone number is included in your request. Requests for continuance which are received less than one week before trial may not be granted, and may still require your appearance in court.

How much of my bond money is available to me?
The type of bond and who posted it will affect how much money you will receive back when you come to court. If your bond was posted by a bail bondsman, you will have to contact the bondsman for any type of refund. The court receives no monies from bail bondsmen.If your bond was posted by someone other than yourself and designated that the bond money was to be returned to them, then that person would have the bond money returned to them.Cash bonds are worth the full face value of the amount you posted.Ten Percent Bonds carry a cost for allowing the defendant to post a ten percent bond. The fee is ten percent (10%) of the value of the bond and is charged to the case at the time of posting. If the bond on a case is set at $2500.00, ten percent, then the defendant need only post a bond amount of $250.00. The court may also collect the State of Ohio victims of crime fee of $24.00 at the time the bond is posted. When the defendant uses the bond to pay for fines and costs, or has the bond money returned to the depositor, the posted value of the bond is applied or returned.

How do I apply for a court appointed attorney?
Requesting a court appointed attorney requires the defendant to file a "Financial Disclosure Statement" with the clerk of court's office. This form is available at the clerk's office during normal business hours. Once this form is filled out and filed with the clerk's office, the judge will make a ruling as to the merit of the request, and the defendant will be notified.

Traffic - Frequently Asked Questions

How many points do I have on my license?
You may contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles to determine how many points you have on your license. You may also check online at

••• Ohio BMV
1970 West Broad St.
P.O. Box 16520
Columbus, Ohio
(614) 752-7500

••• Ohio BMV (Parma Office)
12000 Snow Rd.
Parma, Ohio 44130
(440) 845-2007 - Reinstatement
(614) 752-7500 - Reinstatement - Columbus
(614) 752-7600 - Reinstatement - Columbus

How many points will be assessed to my license for a traffic violation?
Most moving traffic violations carry a penalty of two (2) points. Moving violations include such offenses as speeding, running a red light, improper lane change, and improper turn. Some violations carry a higher point potential. These include driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, driving under suspension, reckless operation, and drag racing. These violations can carry anywhere from four (4) to six (6) points. Non moving violations such as equipment, license, and seat belts usually are considered zero (0) point violations.

How do I plead not guilty to a traffic case?
You may plead not guilty to any traffic violation to be heard in Shaker Heights Municipal Court. You must submit your plea at the time of your arraignment, or you may submit your plea in writing to the court prior to your initial court appearance. Please include your name, current address, phone number, social security number and ticket or case number on all your correspondence. In your letter you must enter your initial plea. Only pleas of not guilty, guilty, and no contest are allowed in the State of Ohio. Mail your letter to the court using the address found listed on this website's home page.

How do I get my car out of the impound?
If your car was impounded because of a traffic violation that involved the issuance of BMV form 2255, then you must file a motion with the court for the release of your vehicle. These forms are available at the Clerk of Court's office during normal business hours and online under the "FORMS" page in "CRIMINAL - TRAFFIC". The cost for filing a Motion for Release of Vehicle is $25.00. The judge then rules on whether the law permits your car to be released or if it must remain impounded for a number of days. All other violations where a BMV form 2255 was not issued normally do not require a court order. Contact the police department which seized your vehicle for further information.

The BMV says I have a warrant registration block on my license/vehicle. What do I do?
Ohio law allows the court to issue a registration block with the BMV if you have a valid warrant for your arrest with the court. Most of these warrants are for contempt of court on traffic tickets with an outstanding balance. You have several options on how to proceed to clear the registration block.

Option 1 is to come to the court during normal business hours and make final payment on your case. The amount of cash you will need to bring is approximately $200.00 more than what your ending balance was when your payment was last received. If your case has no finding, and a fine has not been determined, a good general rule of thumb is to bring $350.00 cash. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE COURT WILL ONLY ACCEPT CASH OR CREDIT CARDS FOR THESE TRANSACTIONS. NO CHECKS! You must be in line at the Clerk of Court's office before 4:30 PM to handle these transactions.

Option 2 is to post bond on the case and then come to court. Release of registration block will be issued by the Clerk of Court's office.

Can I pay my traffic ticket by phone?
No. All payments can either be made online, in person, or via mail.

My criminal/traffic case has been sent to collections, who should I call?

If a warrant is issued on your case for failure to pay, your case will be sent to collections. Once this process takes place, all communications about paying the case off will be handled by the collection agency. The collection agency information is:

Capitol Recovery Systems, Inc.
750 Cross Pointe Rd. Suite S
Columbus, Ohio 43230
Toll Free: (800) 693-6835
Fax: (614) 575-0794